The Search for a new home …

by Mehak Shahani on June 7, 2014

in Uncategorized

Okay so when the boy and me quit our jobs, we were certain we would move back to Hyderabad (his home town), live with family and base our venture from there. There is no point shelling out rent in Delhi when we have a home there and the business was online so it didn;t matter plus the boy needed to help his dad out with his business .

But well, once we launched we realised that when it comes to weddings- you cannot afford to be far away from Delhi and given that Wed Me Good  got a decent response we knew we had to stick around here. The problem- our old house which I had put in effort and time into buying furniture for (see it here)  we had already rented out along with our furniture !!! ACK ! So now…we had to find a new, pre-furnished home !!!! Believe me, finding a good rental accomodation that is furnished is  a 100 times harder than finding an unfurnished house. Sigh.

First house we went to:  second floor apartment of a bungalow . Nice, new kind of furniture and decent bathrooms. Problem- its a 1 BHK . So space was tiny…sigh. Okay lets keep this as a backup option incase we dont find anything else.

Second house we went to: 2 bhk, but oh my god !!! Disgustingly kept- and though the owner threw his arms dramatically to showcase his bathroom as if it was Cleopatra’s bath tub or something- it turned out to be a tiny little cubby hole that didnt look like it had been cleaned for years

Third house we went to: Beautiful furniture, nice wood work, good spacing. The problem- the broker forgot to mention this is a PG so you share your flat with other people. Wha?? It would be perfect if I was studying or workin alone but as a married couple?

Fourth house we went to: Nice option in a high rise apartment . Kept well, everything looks good. Problem- landlord asking for an exorbitant amount

Fifth house we went to: Very entertaining landlord uncle who is quite old, yet made tons of remarks about me marrying a sindhi, how my husband needs to be kept an eye on, wondering why we are so nice to each other (Oh accha…only 2 years of marriage thats why he commented). Not a high rise, but a nice enough place with good space thought not my kind of furniture. Catch- tiny TINY kitchen and WAYYYY beyond our budget

So we were basically sitting around wondering what the hell to do when the fifth landlord called us and said he really liked us and wanted a family to move in to his place( No jokes, the woman who lived here before us has SOME stories huh..my maid keeps giving me gossip about her, lets not get into details but it invariably involves boys, alcohol and cigarettes and my maid being horrified. No wonder the uncle wants a family!) . he was ready to give us a GREAT deal on the house because he wanted trustworthy people (fyi- the boys face = trustworthy.Somehow older aunties and uncles alike love him)

So yeah, this is us for a little time. Im annoyed that I dont get to keep the furniture I had chosen for my old home…but oh well..

Before the makeover

home-decor-002

HATE those ugly cushions. Dying to give them a makeover. Not a big fan of those sofas or that table either- everything looks so boring !!! Im missing my grey and turquoise and purple living room i had set up so cutely!! Waaah :(

home-decor-001

The nice thing about this house- is that large bay window on the right- opens up to a big balcony. See that tiny little door on the left- yeah thats the non existant kitchen meant for I dont know who… a family of little ants or something.

home-decor

Like the wooden flooring….BUT no dresser in this house. So for now Iv put my stuff on a study table.

After the Makeover:?????

There is a limited amount I can do with a pre-furnished home, but thats whats keeping me busy at the moment !

Anupama June 7, 2014 at 7:22 pm

All the Best Mehak!
I will be fine, if you shift to hyderabad, my wedding is scheduled for next year and I could take all the benefits :)
Me from Hyderabad too!

Pinktrends June 8, 2014 at 1:18 am

finding a nice or say decent house is such a trouble and then the next pain is decorating it.. all the best with your new house,.. do a post on how you rearranged the things.. as of now it looks so dull for ur taste :)

Vartika June 8, 2014 at 1:36 am

we have been all over Delhi and Gurgaon.. searching for a decent place. It finally paid off last week!

mehak June 8, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Yay show pics..want to start a decor series on the blog

Quirky June 8, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Please please do start a decor series – quirky, affordable decor plans – wall decals and all – please start soon :D

A Golden Tulip June 8, 2014 at 4:09 am

Looking forward to the after makeover..tiny kitchens are very bad…good luck!

xo

mily June 8, 2014 at 10:04 am

congrats for the new house Mehak :D i am sure you will still make it beautiful!!

Smriti Kaur June 8, 2014 at 11:03 am

Awwwww… you have become like a friend who I love to hear every morning.. all these little cute stories of yours and the way you write them, lemme say that they are the USP of your blog… Im a silent observer of zillions of beauty and fashion blog but this one blog I love to read every morning even when im off to vacations… btw all the best to you n your boy.. May god bless you both with success and prosperity

mehak June 8, 2014 at 11:47 am

Aww thanks Smriti :)

Swati June 8, 2014 at 11:08 am

I am sure you will do a good makeover. Waiting for the updated photos :)

sam June 8, 2014 at 3:28 pm

searching a dream house is a tedious work, so is decoratie bestng them. all th

riya June 8, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Hi mehak…the structure is good n u can do wonders perso alising this space using fresh flowers…nice cheery fairy lights…textured bedsheets…lamps..cushions…also for more inspiration on decorating rentals u can visit apartmenttherapy.com…a gr8 site for interiors…happy decorating…

mehak June 8, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Thanks riya will check that site out

Amrit Beebee June 8, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Why don’t you guys try and get featured on yourstory.com? It’s great for startups! I came across this site today and all I could think of was you.

mehak June 8, 2014 at 9:13 pm

We already have been !!!

Amrit Beebee June 9, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Lol i feel silly now! Great writeup though!

Vineetha June 9, 2014 at 1:33 am

Nice place. Additions are important to give us that our home feel! :-). I am sure you would do a great job as you have a superb knack for interior deco!

Deepika June 9, 2014 at 11:52 am

Hey Mehak!
All the best for the makeover. check out http://www.houzz.com , they have got some really good ideas.
Absolutely love your blog. Every time i have a doubt about a product i read your blog. Have started using
lot of products by reading the reviews. You guys are doing a great job!
Keep up the good work.
Best Wishes xoxoxo

Harine June 9, 2014 at 4:18 pm

fyi- the boys face = trustworthy … Ha Ha ha.. had a good laughter Mehak..
Impressing the neighbor is as important as impressing the owners.. New trend here in Chennai.
Owner took us around to show us to the neighbors as if we were bought in some exhibition. We had to show our set of 32 teeth to them too..

Deepshikha June 16, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Hi MEhak,

Its really interesting to decor new house….so I have an idea…it would be really great if you can put a section where we can get number of home decor ideas…going to hundreds of online sites and checking outs stuffs from there, is really boring and of no use….It would be nice to see the arrangements as well….Please consider the same..Really looking forward to this.

mehak June 16, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Yup deepshikha but im a bit confused hwo to do it..just ideas would do??? What if its not pics of my house but just pics of the net

Deepshikha June 24, 2014 at 6:39 pm

I think there should be combination of ideas,innovations implemented in your home(you are doing this these days..which I always love), pics from net sometimes work…

Another options can be like you have been surveyed delhi markets to great extent so you can include good shops and their interesting work in this section like you do in bridal section.
Actually this section would be the NEXT AGENDA of every newly married couple :)