5 Hair Mistakes you could be making !!!

by Mehak Shahani on July 23, 2014

in Haircare

Vitamins-For-Hair-Growth

I could write a thesis on just hair care, not because I have  rather lustrous ones, infact its quite the contrary. But because I have such weak, dry, limp hair that I do everything I possibly can to not damage it further (but the hard water in Gurgaon doesn’t help..ugh- which by the way could be the sixth mistake you are making- washing your hair with hard water.). Anyway, here are some things to watch out for:

1. Having your last rinse with warm water: If your hair is frizzy, and you want smoother mane, one of the easiest tricks is to ensure that the last rinse right before you get out of the shower is with cool water. The funda is, warm water  dissolves the natural oil your hair secretes and strips away the moisture making your hair frizzy and dry. If you want frizz free hair, ensure your last rinse is with cold water- it increases shine and reduces frizz.

2. Drying it with a towel by rubbing the towel on your head(like they show in advertisements) : Seriously, I have no idea why they show so much hair rubbing happening in adverts. Its the worst thing you could do on wet hair! The best, most gentle way to dry your hair is to simple pat it and let your towel dry it.

3. Using a hairbrush on wet hair : DONT!!! If your hair is wet/ semi wet and you want to comb it, always use a wide toothed comb and nothing else. Hair is most gentle when wet and very prone to breakage. Getting a hairbrush even 2 cms near it is likely to cause hairfall and stress! The best way to actual go about doing this is to not touch wet hair at all – just brush your hair BEFORE you head into the shower, and then comb it once its almost dry.

4. Using Conditioner all over your hair: This probably depends on your hair type, but for 90% of people using conditioners only starting from the middle of your hair towards the ends is the way to go. (I use conditioner from my ear downwards). Conditioners cause build up close to the scalp and you already have natural moisture near that area- you dont need conditoner there.

5. Tieing a ponytail at the same spot: Always move your pony up and down an inch every day. The rubber band can cause breakage and stress and before you know it your pony gets thinner and thinner

6. Having a bath with hard water: Find out what type of water comes in your home- unfortunately mine is hard. My doctor has advised me to only use MCD soft water, or use Aaro purifiers or something like that. Hard water is AWEFUL for hair .

7. Washing your hair with beer: There is this common myth that beer helps in haircare and shine. While the shine part is true, a hairwash with beer is definitely going to get your hair looking shiny, what it also will do is completely strip out the oil from your hair and make it look dry and jhadoo like!

Shikha July 23, 2014 at 1:48 pm

I comb my hair when they are wet, else they look so ajeeb when they dry. Also I ave this bad habit of not oiling my hair. I am facing lot of hairfall issue everyday I think I will start oiling them and take proper care but then by night I forget everything :(

Priya. N July 23, 2014 at 1:52 pm

I have really frizzy hair and the cool water tip for last rinse makes a lot of difference, whenever I do that my hair also looks more shiny I feel, and I do need to stop combing my hair when wet :)

Lisha@HeartBowsMakeup July 23, 2014 at 2:00 pm

I do tend to apply conditioner all over because I have extremely thick n frizzy hair but I am afraid of product build up so I guess I’ll stop now :p

Clothes and Creativity July 23, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Useful tips! Another things is not to tie hair which is wet. Often girls tie their (almost) wet hair in a pony or a braid, that leads to breakage as wet hair is ore susceptible to breaking!

What’s In My Bag: Louis Vuitton Speedy 30

Clothes and Creativity July 23, 2014 at 2:03 pm

laks July 23, 2014 at 2:05 pm

me too face severe hair fall and I do almost all of these mistakes :( :( . Its nearly impossible to use only auro purified water when I shampoo my hair as I need loads of water then.

Shweta July 23, 2014 at 2:16 pm

I’ve have straight & nice hair genetically but here’s what I do in addition … I use 2 pumps of Kerastase Elixir Ultime serum post wash instead of normal hair conditioner (I feel hair conditioner increases by hair fall) … I detangle my hair with my fingers once dry after which I use a comb … Try to oil my hair once a week … Use hair tools like dryer/hair straightener when I go to a party never otherwise .. Have been using henna to condition my hair since last 17-18 yrs i.e. when I was 15 .. not every week but once in 2 months or so

Ankita July 23, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Just tried ths y’day….warm coconut oil + 1 tsp Honey + 3-4 drops of olive oil…mix it well and apply on scalp n hair…keep it fr an hour and TADA…tangle free smooth hair r all urs :)

Nisha@The PinkTrends July 23, 2014 at 2:51 pm

So true..all these points actuall do make a difference and I have noticed myself if I don’t oil regularly I have more hair fall. The point about beer I didn’t knew that and was thinking till now that its good for hairs as we have read that..

Gagan July 23, 2014 at 3:18 pm

I have done hair experiments and researches over my 34 years and been through childbirth and the various changes that change of location, age, water etc bring. I have a fairly good head of hair I would say, have’nt got a split end in decades and recovered from post-natal hair fall quite quickly.

I would say, the most important hair care one can do, is to take care of your diet. More than anything that you apply, it is what you eat to nourish your hair and scalp from within. The oriental races have fabulous hair and they eat a lot of seafood!! Try flax seed oil in your diet for 2 months and see how shiny and manageable and thick your hair gets, including getting a glowing skin!! 10 ml mixed in your 1 cup of cooked daal at night, is enough!!

Ensure that you have a bowl of daal every night- you need the natural fibrous proteins. Stay hydrated!!! You cant expect to have flowly, vibrant hair if you only drink 4 glasses of water a day!!

The other tips such as excessive towelling, brush wet hair etc are all true. But if your hair are in a bad health, then no matter what you avoid or do externally, it will make little difference.

Water, proteins, antioxidants, lots of vit C(nimbu paani), flax seed oil/almond oil!
Another area in diet which I have noticed is weak in women is Calcium! And lack of calcium will give you oodles of hair fall. Ensure that you take sufficient calcium and folic acid(apples), or you can take a 1 month vitamin supplement and observe the difference.

And please do not use honey on your hair, you will end up with bleached hair!! Honey is a natural bleach.. use it in skin packs, but not for hair!!

Hope this helps!

E July 23, 2014 at 4:16 pm

…diet. Thank you for emphasising that! I’d never heard about flaxseed oil but will try it!

Anusha July 23, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Thank you for detailed info on diet for good hair Gagan :)

Peachesandblush July 24, 2014 at 12:39 am

Thanks Gagan,
That is so true..recently visited the derm and got tests done as well…. now I have to be on biotin tablets and vitamin D3 cos i have deficiencies.

Poorani July 23, 2014 at 3:24 pm

There is no E in awful.

E July 23, 2014 at 4:14 pm

OK, I think I will take your advice and go for the cool rinse…it’s just too cold! LoL but I will force myself now, thanks to you :) However, if I get a cold- guess who I’m blaming? haha

People should buy towel wraps. Best thing ever.

I am one of those who needs to condition all over my hair- I’ve discovered if I don’t, I’ll get knots in it :(.

Shriya July 23, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Also,, you shoud not go for the same type of hair do again and again..it will cause hairfall from that place ..you have to change your maang (separation)..left alinged,right aligned,and also sometimes without maang,this will avaoid the hairfall..

Lana July 23, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Nice tips! I always use luke warm water to wash off shampoo and cold water to wash off conditioner :D

pinkvanitybox July 23, 2014 at 5:56 pm

WOW..such a nice source of info.. and thanks to Gagan listing out things to eat for healthy tresses .It is very important to take care of yourself internally because whatever you eat is reflected outside .Also get your hormones checked for healthier tresses and glowing skin.Flax seeds and Green tea can lead to good change in your skin and hair ..

shruti July 23, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I stopped using conditioner altogether and my hair-fall went down by 80%. I used to wake up with my pillow cover covered in hair. My aunt who was visiting me, was horrified to see this and suggested I lay off the conditioner for a while. I didn’t listen at first, but eventually I did and what a difference that has made! My hair isn’t super frizzy and the water in NY isn’t hard, so I didn’t really need the conditioner to begin with.
Also, about the beer myth. Now, I have never washed my hair with just plain undiluted beer but I have used the Cynthia Sylvia Stout shampoo from LUSH for 3 years. It contains organic beer, vinegar and lemon juice and I notice that it makes my hair shiny and smoother.

Shikha July 24, 2014 at 11:52 am

ohh are conditioner that bad.. yesterday I bought Morrocon hair shampoo & conditioner thinking that it might help.. :(

Jyoti July 23, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Nice tips! Is anyone here facing hairloss where the strands of hair shrink in diameter and length both? And then fall off? Please advise ladies..need help.

mily July 23, 2014 at 9:08 pm

dont even get me started on my hair…..dry..limp..oily scalp…and not hairstyle-friendly..!! Its like always a bad hair day..!

Himani July 23, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Dis article needs to be bookmarked.. Fab tips :)

A Golden Tulip July 23, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Cold water rinse…its very difficult, but gonna try! And maintaining the diet is the most important like you said Gagan. Will try the flaxseed oil.

xo

Srishty July 23, 2014 at 11:04 pm

I too have stopped using conditioner, I only use it once in a while and I have definitely noticed improvement in my hair quality, not very much though.

The only problem that I could have faced without a conditioner was getting my hair ends burnt and split due to sun rays (happens a lot with me). To avoid that, I have started covering my head with a scarf when in sun and if I really do feel the need of a conditioner, I just apply a drop of almond or coconut oil on my hair ends after washing.

Oh, and, moving to silicone and sulphate free shampoos has also helped.

I have only noticed small changes as of now, nothing miraculous so far. :)

ankita July 23, 2014 at 11:26 pm
Shivi@COSMOCHICS July 24, 2014 at 12:12 am

Tieing pony at same place everyday also gave me a severe headache and I didnt understand until a close friend made me realise about it!
NIce tips :)