My Preferred Way to Travel: UBER (Uber Free Rides for P&B Readers) !

by Mehak Shahani on August 8, 2014

in Uncategorized

So one thing some of you may not know about me- I can’t drive. Yeah I know..shameful for a twenty something working woman running her own business but its true. I can’t drive and I am shamelessly dependent on whichever bakra I can catch on to for driving me around. Given that this is Delhi, there aren’t too many local modes of transport i can take when Im attending late night fashion shows and the like either so up until now I have pretty much stuck to Merus and the like…

But recently when the team at Uber asked me to try their new cab service  I was pretty curious. A lot of my friends had switched over to Uber and had been talking about it, and I thought this would be a great chance to try it out.

How it works

You basically download  the Uber  app from the app store on your phone, feed in your credit card details and then you need to push a button to book a cab. No really, you just need to push a button you don’t speak to any customer care executive- the app just shows you how far away the nearest driver is and you can get started with calling him wherever you are (You dont even call him, he gets your location and calls to confirm). Its completely cashless, so you hop in the car and hop out- uber automatically deducts an amount based on the info you entered in your phone

photo 4 (3)

See,  it shows me the nearest driver to where I am is just 10 minutes away. ok then I shall request an Uber X bu clicking on the car sign. You can also request an Uber Black which is the luxury version

photo 1

Okay so now let it do its thing. Its processing my request!

photo 2

Hey look its showing a driver that is enroute to my place, and is just two minutes away Yay.

photo 1

Okay thats just a picture I clicked when the car arrived and I was sitting inside. The cars have this little phone thingy that I am assuming has GPS to help drivers out.

photo 4 (1)

Okay, so thats how much my trip cost. Around 500 bucks . I can then rate my ride.

My review

When i took my first ride in the Uber I have to admit I felt a tad bit helpless. I’m so used to picking up the phone and speaking to a person that the lack of a helpline number totally freaked me out. But over time I have been “Ubering” all around town. Mostly because its SO DARN EASY!!! To put it in a pros and cons format here you go:

Why you will love uber

1. Uber is a location based so the app just finds where you are and with the push of a button you can call the nearest driver- This means if you need a car in the next 5 minutes, you can get one (Yesterday I needed a car urgently and the guy reached in 2 minutes !!!)

2. What i love is that Uber works for short distances. So i have literally taken ubers from my house to like 5 kilometres away and ended up paying just a 100 Rs. I mean honestly, that is SUCH a boon for a person like me who stays in gurgaon because we dont have auto rickshaws here, plus who wants to take autos in the heat?

3. The cars are pretty cool. The Uber X service gives you cars like Swift and stuff but the Uber Black gives you Corollas etc if you want to travel in style . But more important than the make is the fact that the cars are clean, well maintained and the drivers are nice.

4. Its CHEAP. Its cheaper than meru because its approx 18-19 Rs a kilometre if I remember correctly.

5. Its cashless, so if you are like me (read: hopelessly empty wallet) , you dont need to worry..Just hop in , hop out your phone does the rest. This seems like such a small thing but its sooooo easy and hassle free

6. The drivers wait for about half an hour if needed.

7 . It has some really cool featured like “Split the fare“. So if three of you are travelling by cab you dont need to worry about who owes who what amount, but just need to enter their uber account details and the fare gets split between you three

3phonecomp2

The split fare feature ensures you dont owe your friends any money

8. One of the BEST features Uber has is the “Share ETA” feature. Basically if you are a woman travelling alone ,you can share your expected time of arrival with a set of people  who will then get a live map of where exactly you are and when you will get to your destination

last-and-final

The Share my ETA features shares your travel plans with your friends

Why you might get annoyed with Uber

1. Say your phone gets switched off or something (it happened to me because Iphones have crap battery), and you need to contact the driver whose waiting for you then there is no other way to do it because there isnt any helpline which you can call to find out the drivers number

2. If you want to schedule a pickup before hand. So say in the morning, you want to schedule a pickup at 4.30 pm, you cannot do that. You can only call an Uber at the time you want to travel- so I just keep a half an hour buffer and call  them then (the max time its taken to reach me is 15-20 mins)

PROMO CODE for P&B READERS: Using promo code “Peachesandblush” when you sign up you can get two free rides worth Rs 500 anywhere in Delhi/ NCR. This Promo code is valid for new users only. You can sign up here  with your promo code and then download the app to get started

UBER RAKHI SPECIAL:  Uber has partnered with Sucré Patisserie, so sisters anywhere in the world can get a scrumptious cake along with a Rakhi delivered to their brother(s) in Delhi! What’s more, all proceeds go to Goonj.

Anusha August 8, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Sounds interesting!

Himani August 8, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Dis sounds so incredible Mehak.. My bro lives in Gurgaon and travelling is such a pain there.. Next time I am there I am so using this.. In fact I am forwarding him as well.. :)
Thanks for sharing..

Shrutika August 8, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Wow this is such an awesome service !! I love they are loaded with so many features

Shivi@COSMOCHICS August 8, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Yes! Thats the GPS to help the drivers!
Have heard about Uber…would love to experience it too !
Now we can book Autos too ( three wheeler) through some Auto Rickshaw Service I think its “mGaadi” not sure though :)

Ayushi August 8, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Love Uber :)
Mehak, till when is the P&B promocode valid?

mehak August 9, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Ummm..dunno Ayushi..

Uber Admin August 9, 2014 at 6:46 pm

The code is valid until Oct 31st.

Deepa August 11, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Definitely trying it once :)

Deepa August 11, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Definitely trying it once :)

A Golden Tulip August 9, 2014 at 12:43 am

This is so cool and sounds super safe for people traveling alone. I remember being very cautious every time i took an auto alone, its has some cool features too. But yeah, phone switching off is a bummer.

xo

Chaitri August 9, 2014 at 3:19 am

You had me at the last line. Goonj is such a great organization, especially for the work it does for women. Glad to see they are featured in this special offer and that it will benefit their work!

shazia August 9, 2014 at 4:09 am

I had no idea that such a useful app even exists and I was happy that online shopping apps have come into existence :P thanks for this post :)

Priyanka Jain August 9, 2014 at 11:07 am
Pallavi August 9, 2014 at 11:30 am

Uber sounds like a dream! Definitely gonna try it. Though I am a bit concerned about credit card security and/or being overcharged.

For phone emergencies do carry a battery pack. iPhone does have a not-so-great battery but it also charges up so quickly it’s totally worth it!

Lisha@HeartBowsMakeup August 9, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Ive had a horrible experience with Uber cabs. First off they arent cheap at all! They charge Rs 15 per km PLUS Rs 2 per minute which considering Delhi’s horrible traffic turns out to be pretty expensive. Plus the last time I hired them and couldn’t answer the driver’s first call they cancelled it and charged Rs 150 as cancelling charges while the same driver picked me up 2 mins later :| was so annoyed with that!

mehak August 9, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Ouch really??? Iv travelled about 5-6 times with them and i love it

Uber Admin August 9, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Hi Lisha,

Just reply to the receipt emailed to you (even if it has been a while). We will look up the trip and if the charge was erroneous, we will reverse it. No problem at all.

Lana August 9, 2014 at 12:22 pm

They whole system is so techy, advanced and innovative! I really liked it :)

Clothes and Creativity August 9, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Although it sounds all great, some of my friends have not had a great experience with this service.

What I Bought From Janpath: Fashion Haul https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnIK_akU6gg&list=UUheUfgwzMItcFttFwJomgrg

zooni August 9, 2014 at 6:46 pm

wow this sounds cool

Naina August 10, 2014 at 6:37 am

I use it all the time in the states! :) Glad delhi has it tooo!

Rajvi August 10, 2014 at 2:58 pm

I have been using Uber since a very long time now..while my initial experience with it was great a lot of time I feel that their strategy of timing the pick up that works so well abroad does not help in a traffic heavy city like mumbai.. a lot of times I have gotten late to work because the estimated time for pick up showed was actually much lesser than what it actually took for the cab to come..
Besides that a couple of times my bill was completely off because the driver did not end the trip on time (maybe because of network issues) which resulted in some extra money being deducted from my Card. A feedback sent to their customer service went unanswered. So they will have to fix up these glitches before they beat the good old reliable Cool Cab service here in Mumbai.

Rishabh Sood August 10, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Thanks for sharing the coupon, Mehak. ^_^

Deepa August 11, 2014 at 1:59 pm

One of the cons is that Uber is only targetting smart phone users. But would be great for last minute plans. Spreading the word to my folks in Gurgaon.

Somya August 12, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Its a problem for people not having credit card.:( I am one of them. i use debit cards

Ruchi August 18, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Hi Mehak

I used the services for the first time and I agree on the pros. Really liked the services. :)