So one thing some of you may not know about me- I can’t drive. Yeah I know..shameful for a twenty something working woman running her own business but its true. I can’t drive and I am shamelessly dependent on whichever bakra I can catch on to for driving me around. Given that this is Delhi, there aren’t too many local modes of transport i can take when Im attending late night fashion shows and the like either so up until now I have pretty much stuck to Merus and the like…
But recently when the team at Uber asked me to try their new cab service I was pretty curious. A lot of my friends had switched over to Uber and had been talking about it, and I thought this would be a great chance to try it out.
How it works
You basically download the Uber app from the app store on your phone, feed in your credit card details and then you need to push a button to book a cab. No really, you just need to push a button you don’t speak to any customer care executive- the app just shows you how far away the nearest driver is and you can get started with calling him wherever you are (You dont even call him, he gets your location and calls to confirm). Its completely cashless, so you hop in the car and hop out- uber automatically deducts an amount based on the info you entered in your phone
See, it shows me the nearest driver to where I am is just 10 minutes away. ok then I shall request an Uber X bu clicking on the car sign. You can also request an Uber Black which is the luxury version
Okay so now let it do its thing. Its processing my request!
Hey look its showing a driver that is enroute to my place, and is just two minutes away Yay.
Okay thats just a picture I clicked when the car arrived and I was sitting inside. The cars have this little phone thingy that I am assuming has GPS to help drivers out.
Okay, so thats how much my trip cost. Around 500 bucks . I can then rate my ride.
When i took my first ride in the Uber I have to admit I felt a tad bit helpless. I’m so used to picking up the phone and speaking to a person that the lack of a helpline number totally freaked me out. But over time I have been “Ubering” all around town. Mostly because its SO DARN EASY!!! To put it in a pros and cons format here you go:
Why you will love uber
1. Uber is a location based so the app just finds where you are and with the push of a button you can call the nearest driver- This means if you need a car in the next 5 minutes, you can get one (Yesterday I needed a car urgently and the guy reached in 2 minutes !!!)
2. What i love is that Uber works for short distances. So i have literally taken ubers from my house to like 5 kilometres away and ended up paying just a 100 Rs. I mean honestly, that is SUCH a boon for a person like me who stays in gurgaon because we dont have auto rickshaws here, plus who wants to take autos in the heat?
3. The cars are pretty cool. The Uber X service gives you cars like Swift and stuff but the Uber Black gives you Corollas etc if you want to travel in style . But more important than the make is the fact that the cars are clean, well maintained and the drivers are nice.
4. Its CHEAP. Its cheaper than meru because its approx 18-19 Rs a kilometre if I remember correctly.
5. Its cashless, so if you are like me (read: hopelessly empty wallet) , you dont need to worry..Just hop in , hop out your phone does the rest. This seems like such a small thing but its sooooo easy and hassle free
6. The drivers wait for about half an hour if needed.
7 . It has some really cool featured like “Split the fare“. So if three of you are travelling by cab you dont need to worry about who owes who what amount, but just need to enter their uber account details and the fare gets split between you three
The split fare feature ensures you dont owe your friends any money
8. One of the BEST features Uber has is the “Share ETA” feature. Basically if you are a woman travelling alone ,you can share your expected time of arrival with a set of people who will then get a live map of where exactly you are and when you will get to your destination
The Share my ETA features shares your travel plans with your friends
Why you might get annoyed with Uber
1. Say your phone gets switched off or something (it happened to me because Iphones have crap battery), and you need to contact the driver whose waiting for you then there is no other way to do it because there isnt any helpline which you can call to find out the drivers number
2. If you want to schedule a pickup before hand. So say in the morning, you want to schedule a pickup at 4.30 pm, you cannot do that. You can only call an Uber at the time you want to travel- so I just keep a half an hour buffer and call them then (the max time its taken to reach me is 15-20 mins)
PROMO CODE for P&B READERS: Using promo code “Peachesandblush” when you sign up you can get two free rides worth Rs 500 anywhere in Delhi/ NCR. This Promo code is valid for new users only. You can sign up here with your promo code and then download the app to get started
UBER RAKHI SPECIAL: Uber has partnered with Sucré Patisserie, so sisters anywhere in the world can get a scrumptious cake along with a Rakhi delivered to their brother(s) in Delhi! What’s more, all proceeds go to Goonj.
Follow peachesandblush on Instagram.