Twenties ! A time for a lot of big changes, many firsts and even more new adventures – First job, first car or apartment, new places to travel, new people to meet and new things to learn. Between all this, there should be one thing that stays constant – your skincare routine. You don’t have to spend a lot on fancy products or try to incorporate too many of them. Just pick a simple yet effective combination of products and stick to them.
Skincare in the 20s – The 3 basic pillars of skincare in the 20s are Cleanser, Moisturizer and Sunscreen. You don’t necessarily have to include serums, exfoliators and anti-aging creams at this point if your skin is in good shape. Toners help in maintaining the pH balance of skin but can be skipped – the omission won’t have that great an effect. Having said that, if you suffer from a particular issue (acne, pigmentation) or have started seeing signs of aging – then products can be added to your routine to help combat the issue accordingly.
- Cleanser – Going for a foaming cleanser is a good idea. If you suffer from acne then look for ingredients like Salicylic acid or Benzoyl peroxide.
- Moisturizer – Include a light oil-free product in your routine.
- Sunscreen – An aqua gel or gel based one is best. It should have at-least SPF 30 and PA+++
- Add ons – Retinol based creams or glycolic acid based creams at night accompanied by mild exfoliation to start anti-aging routine.
How is skincare in the 30s different from the 20s ?
Skincare in the 20s is all about enhancement of skin while in the 30s a dual approach of enhancement and preservation should be followed. Skin in the 20s is more prone to acne. Wrinkles/ other signs of aging generally start appearing in the 30s. A woman in her 20s can get away with a lot of things while someone in their 30s should be more cautious of products applied on the skin. Too much experimenting should be avoided at this stage. Skin is more sensitive and tends to be dry which calls for more hydration. Oil secretion of the skin goes down, hence more creamier products should be used.
Skincare in the 30s – The 3 pillars are the same but the kind of products to be used are different. Also, an anti-aging regimen should be started in earnest along with using a good eye cream. On Indian skin, the first signs of aging appear in the under-eye area (before any other part of the face). Even if you’ve been negligent or irregular with your routine in your 20s, this is as good a time to start as any. You can’t go back in time to repair any damage but can certainly prevent sun spots, uneven skin, wrinkles, dryness, dullness and irritation of skin in the future.
- Cleanser – Make sure its not too foaming, we want to retain the skin’s natural oils. Go for mild exfoliating cleansers with lactic acid and glycolic acid. Don’t over exfoliate. Avoid salicylic acid & benzoyl peroxide in the 30s as they may cause dryness.
- Moisturizer – Choose a creamy one that hydrates the skin and combats dryness.
- Sunscreen – A cream based sunscreen is a good bet. Minimum of SPF 30 and PA+++
- Under eye cream – Look for the ingredient Hyaluronic acid as it plumps and nourishes the skin well.
- Night cream – Use retinol based ones. If you have dry skin, look for glycolic acid based creams.
- Add ons – Serums or creams with Vitamin C / Vitamin E are beneficial for the skin.
All inputs by Dr.Nirupama Parwanda of Zolie Skin Clinic (Facebook) Contact info firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com
Subscribe Updates, Its FREE!