Phew. What a crazy month its been. Crazy good though, I got a chance to visit my favourite city in the world- New York recently. People always ask me why I love a city that isn’t as scenic as anywhere in Europe, where the train stations are probably dirtier than in India , where its pretty much a concrete jungle. I don’t know why honestly, but there is this vibe in New York- kind of similar to in Mumbai. You feel it when you stand in a rooftop bar and look over the skyline, you feel it when you see a swarm of a 1000 different nationalities rushing on the streets, you feel it when you go shopping in Soho with its eclectic boutiques and seriously good pizzas, or when you step out for a drink in the Meatpacking district.
I wish I had better photos, but honestly I feel like I want to just take these moments that I get, to cut away and just be. So I didn’t bother with clicking too many photos.
PS: This is more of an outfit post. If you want to see more from New York you can read about my earlier trips here and here
I couldn’t resist clicking a photo on the steps of The Met Museum . For the uninitiated, this is where Blair Waldorf from Gossip Girl sat with her minions.
We strolled around Central Park for a bit, ate a hot dog, watched the many street performers and then headed for the theatre to watch Wicked. If you are a theatre person (or even if you are not) you MUST watch Wicked.
Left: Wicked at the Gershwin. Right: Me at Times Square. Seriously very over rated place , BUT still a must do at night .
Okay so when it came to food here is what was my absolute favourite things:
- Garretts Popcorn : OMG. Im a popcorn freak. So much so, that I choose a movie hall based on who has the best caramel popcorn. But Oh My God. This popcorn , specially the pecan mix was amazing.
- Pizza at Rubirosa in Nolita: Nolita is this little italian place near Soho. The pizza at the restaurant called Rubirosa was amazing
- Beertini’s !!! So many of them
- Chipotle: Cliched but true, I lovvveeddd this as quick meal.
- Magnolias Bakery : Had already had this before, but always check out the banana pudding.
That’s ME ! We headed to the Meatpacking district at night one day. Everyone told us to go to the Standard Hotel, but we somehow ended up at Gansevoort instead. The bar was really nice, but I still think we should have gone to Standard instead. A quick point- If you notice I never wear heels but I was wearing 3 inch heels and travelling in subways in New York because I bought the pair of the MOST comfortable wedges . I bought them from DSW (which btw is another must do in NYC) . They have something call “Memory Foam” in them which takes the shape of your foot. I can’t believe HOW comfortable these are.
My favourite stores in NYC:
- Necessary Clothing: I regret not doing this on day 1 itself but I LOVE the style of clothing at Necessary Clothing. Its a lot more European than the rest of the stores , and I bought like these amazing yellow pallazos, an off shoulder dress and more. Sigh. It ships to India btw
- Victorias Secret: DUH. One tip- dont just go and buy. Get fitted. Ask one of the people at the stores you want help in getting fit /c hoosing your size. I was BLOWN away by their service. They gave me like 12 different styles to try and then told me which ones were perfect
- A few stores in Soho: Its my favourite shopping part of NYC. I cant shop in Times Square its too crazy for me and while 32nd street is amazing (we stayed there), I love the Soho vibe
- DSW: Designer Shoe Warehouse: Hundreds of shoes at discounted rates
Where we stayed
- We stayed at Holiday Inn Express neat 32nd street, I chose it because it was walking distance from shopping and just a few minutes away the train station. Times square was just 2 stations away, and Central Park or World Trade Center were 3 stations up or down.
Follow peachesandblush on Instagram.