There is something SERIOUSLY wrong with the standards of beauty today.

by mehak on May 27, 2017

in Uncategorized

5K7A5103

Me getting my makeup done for a shoot

Aloha ladies. Im sitting in Starbucks currently sipping on my low fat sugar free coffee. Ok I lie. Sipping on my Mocha cookie crunch with caramel sauce , and I see a girl right next to me who I swear could be the splitting image of Kylie Jenner- minus the boobs and butt. Literally, the exact same face. It’s the first time this has happened to me in India but when I took a trip to Australia a couple of weeks back, I swear every fourth girl was dressed a certain way an looked exactly like this – with a certain type of lipstick and contouring and eye makeup and false lashes and …. you get the drift right. For a minute I thought I had skipped a generation forward when human cloning was possible.

Now I’m all for personal choice- you wanna go and wear purple lipstick- go ahead and do that. But there is something I find VERY off about the standards of beauty and makeup that are super hot in the world right now. I’m talking about the Huda Beauty, Kim Kardashian, Kylie Jenner variant of beauty. You see, I love makeup- I love to use makeup to make myself look a prettier version of myself – but I feel like the standards of beauty today are about using makeup to look like someone COMPLETELY different.

Have you seen Youtube tutorials of late ? Like seriously…the ‘no makeup’ look now involves hair extensions and false eyelashes. Between the 0:00 and 7.40 a girl goes from fresh faced girl next door to some uber glamazon woman who looks atleast 5 years older. Bronzer is not used to subtly contour and show of your cheekbones, its become like some sort of a magic wand to mold and construct your face into a different shape altogether. Your under eye area now as to be like ten shades lighter and almost look white in photographs. You don’t just subtly outline your lips, you draw close to an inch outside of them because god forbid your lips take less than 30% of the face. Mascara is replaced by false lashes, there are now eyebrow wigs , and you need 1,342 makeup products to look put together.

And the result of all this- everyone looks exactly the same. The same stark matte lips, the same deeply contoured cheek, the same dramatic eye makeup with an elongated eye liner …..and it bothers me. It bothers me because first I feel like taking a wet towel and cleaning everyones faces these days , but because they might think Im insane, I just restrict to doing it mentally. It also bothers me because girl- you are gorgeous the way you are. Use makeup to contour that nose and face, to highlight that beautiful brow bone, to highlight that pout…dont use it to camoflage everything and hide behind it. What is the point of looking like a particular person ? Isn’t the point of makeup to look like the most gorgeous you there is ? Sigh. Would love to hear from you in the comments below.

Okay. Rant over. Going back to my coffee and WedMeGood.
Psst: Yll be seeing me around here a lot more often.

Sakhi May 27, 2017 at 9:31 pm

so true…

Sreeparna Ganguly May 27, 2017 at 9:41 pm

I live in a place where people are not that much makeup conscious as of yet but those deeply kohled eyes and too much countoured face is becoming very common in the youtube world..

Dee May 28, 2017 at 1:04 am

So true… makeup standards now a days are all about more fake and ugly

Ayushi May 28, 2017 at 1:06 am

I LOVE this blog post Mehak! It’s like you read my mind and wrote my thoughts down in words. <3
The intention behind doing makeup should always be to look like a prettier version of yourself and NOT looking like someone you're not :)

Mridu May 28, 2017 at 1:44 am

Couldnt agree more with you on this mehak.
Everyone has forgotten that there are much more important and productive things in life that they could possibly look into.
God save them!

prajaktabhide May 28, 2017 at 9:33 am

can’t agree more. I also observe a trend in many women to loose weight just to wear a particular western outfit or a hot pants …god save them.

Anu May 28, 2017 at 9:45 am

I love each n every word you wrote….we r in the constant race of apying someone….i am also completely in for makeup etc but overdoing everything n complete unawareness on what suits us and what not is what is happening these days…u said 5 years older…i have seen girls loaded wid makeup looking atleast 10 yrs more than their age…n i feel blindly following u tubers (i mean i am not against them, it is their job after all) is also adding to all dis… even i had seen my everydat routine and i am always left wondering who wears so much makeup on everyday basis…3 4 base…falseis contouring and what not…

Fathima May 28, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Oh Mehak! Tell me about it. I’ve honestly stopped watching and looking at makeup videos online because they are all the same look maybe with a new gimmicky technique or in different shade or finish. The final look remains unchanged. Your rant is something that all of us normal makeup lovers have been thinking to ourselves about. There is no uniqueness anymore and that is a horrible way for the world to be, when people are not content at being themselves. A makeup and fashion revolution is overdue!

michelle Jadaa May 28, 2017 at 6:02 pm

Totally agree,its become a thick mask instead of a light enhancement…..and please who pays $350 for eyebrows and $80 for a month of eyelashes?

Monica May 29, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Love the fact that you are getting the young to reflect on being themselves and that each one of them is born beautiful. Read Maya Angelou😍

Tulika Mukhopadhyay May 31, 2017 at 2:01 pm

Good to see your post after a long time. You could not have chosen a better topic. It seriously amazes me how everyone wants to look like a particular someone and are not happy with their own looks. To be honest, most of us might have wanted to look like one celebrity or the other at different points of our childhood and maybe well into adulthood. But this mass trend of look-alikes is so bothersome! It’s like one entire generation (may be more than one) wants to hide behind fake looks and virtual personalities.

Chris May 31, 2017 at 4:47 pm

While I, like you, wholly support people dressing and applying makeup however they please, I think that there is something to be said about the often unattainable beauty standards that society and popular culture impose on us. It becomes disconcerting when makeup is less about celebrations of the unique physical traits and styles we all have and more about trying to fit everyone into a very limited and tiny box of what is considered “ideal.”

Dipika Desai June 2, 2017 at 10:16 am

I agree with you on each point. The makeup should be used to enhance the features which we already have & not to transform our face into something which we are not. Accept & Appreciate what you have instead of trying to be something which we are not. If everyone tries to be Kylie then it looks like a school uniform for beauty class.

Clothes and Creativity June 4, 2017 at 8:37 pm

So true! Couldn’t agree more!
Instagram is FULL of Kylie Jenner/Kim K wannabes! So are the malls and the streets!
The idea of make-up (IMO) is to enhance ones features to look their best, not to blindly ape celebs/or that’s what they are made out to be! A little inspiration behind choosing a makeup look or an outfit is great, but to churn out copies is so off-putting!
*couldn’t help excessive usage of (!) Haha!
SIKKIM FASHION LOOKBOOK https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw4_yAQFzSE

Prachi June 6, 2017 at 8:44 am

Oh My God! Finally someone spoke about it!
I totally respect people experimenting but I thought the whole point of make up was enhancing some features and not becoming someone else.
And while some of the make up artists trying out stuff makes sense, it has started to feel like people in general are inclining more towards it. Especially the standards being set by US make up industry (and being copied everywhere) are totally promoting the ‘cloning makeup technique’.

The Western Sydney Girl June 7, 2017 at 7:57 am

Couldn’t agree more – I watch a lot of those makeup videos thinking “why would you do that?!”

Why would you just want to look a clone of everyone else?
Personally for me makeup is to enhance, to look like a slightly better version of myself. Not someone else entirely.

The Western Sydney Girl June 7, 2017 at 7:58 am

Why would you just want to look a clone of everyone else?
Sharing this one on my socials :)

Rima Kaur June 14, 2017 at 7:13 pm

I second every sentence.

Vanaja June 17, 2017 at 5:01 am

Totally agree.

Sasha June 22, 2017 at 10:13 pm

I think this post is extremely offensive and is disguised in a blanket of self-righteous feminism. It bothers you what other people put on their face? Why? It’s their choice. Make up is an art. It is therapeutic for a lot of people. It may not be for you and you use it solely to look like a “prettier version” of yourself but a lot of people actually enjoy the act of putting make up on more than the actual effect of makeup. So if they wanna go full cake face or wear no make up its none of yours or anyones business. Don’t do it on yourself but let other people do what they want. If you want to comment on beauty standards of today portrayed by the media, albeit not a new issue and one that has been around for decades, that is a more valuable discussion than this post.